Thursday, June 25, 2009
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Cutting down (or felling) a tree is very simple to get right, but also very risky if you get it wrong. If
your going to try this, practice on a small tree first, and of cause always get its permission.
1. Make sure you have enough clear space for the tree to fall.
2. Get a good sharp axe. Chainsaws are for wimps and are far to easy, (they should only be used for opening beer)
3. First chop a chunk of wood out of the trunk near the bottom.
Labeled 1 in the picture.
This should be on the side to which you want the tree to fall.
4. Now chop on the other side of the tree a couple of inch's (10cm) higher than the first cut. Labeled 2 in the picture.
5. Keep chopping at this side until the tree falls over.
6. Remember to shout "TIMBER."
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Monday, June 1, 2009
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
A very popular pub/bar favourite, particularly on a stag do.
1. The first player states the name of a famous person. Can be historical, fictional or current. Eg. Homer Simpson.
2. The next player, sitting on his/her right must say a famous person beginning with the surname of the the previous famous person. Eg. Stevie Wonder.
3. On to the next person and so on round and round the table.
4. If a player states a double barreled name. Eg Ronald Reagan, then you've bounced and the order changes direction. So if the order of play was going round to right it would now go to the left.
Like all drinking games you need rules when a player should drink. These are as follows.
1. Drink if you mention a famous person already used. You must come up with a new person before play can move on.
2. If you pause for more than 30 seconds while trying to think.
3. If you get the name wrong or mention someone who doesn't exist.
1. Queens. Queen Elizabeth's name can be used as often as you like, with any variation of her name. Eg. Queen Elizabeth, Elizabeth Windsor, Elizabeth the 2nd.
When the queen is mentioned all players must stand up and drink, Shouting. "Gentleman The Queen".
(If your not British and don't want to confuse the rest of the bar, then you could pick your own National Figure. )
2. Twos. Start one game going one way and one going the other way.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
A mighty useful skill this for anyone who might get shot down in the desert or inherit a struggling French farm with no stream. Dowsing is the practice of finding buried materials eg water, by use of a Dowsing Rod.
1. Get outside.
2. Get your dowsing rod, this could be Hazel twig or Wire Coat Hanger in the shape of an upside down Y.
3. Grasp the two handles of the Y and hold the rod horizontally.
4. Now begin to walk in straight lines. Concentrating your thoughts on whatever your dowsing for. (Waters traditional, golds more interesting.)
5. Its common misunderstanding with dowsing that you let the Rod determine your direction. That's not true, the Rod doesn't signal which way to go but rather it vibrates when you are near your chosen desire. So as you walk concentrate on your desire and wait until the Rod is vibrating almost uncontrollably, that's where you dig.